How great would it be if you could just pop out your old front door and replace it with a new one? In one bold move, you could change the look of your house and make your home safer and more secure — at the same time. Unfortunately, it’s not that easy; replacing an exterior door requires exact measuring, medium-to-advanced carpentry skills, and an understanding of terms and materials. Whether you want a simple hardwood entry door or a front door with a transom above and sidelight on the side, you can find it.
There are many options when it comes to front door replacement. You can choose double doors, doors flanked on both sides with sidelights or wooden doors with customized glass design. It is up to you and your personal taste.
To determine what type of material your door should be made of, consider your budget and the level of maintenance you are willing to do.
- Wood-Wood doors, while beautiful, are more expensive and require maintenance, especially with high exposure to the elements. Wooden doors are strong, secure, and scratches are repaired with ease.
- Steel– Steel doors are a great entry-level option they’re durable, budget-friendly, and offer a wide range of design choices, including colors and glass options. Steel doors are also a good choice because they resist shrinking, swelling, and warping, require little maintenance and are energy-efficient.
- Fiberglass– Fiberglass, is a material that requires almost no maintenance because it does not dent, rot, or rust. Fiberglass doors are energy-efficient, affordable, and made to last in all climates and you can paint them any color or stain them to get a wood-like effect.
Factors That Impact The Cost Of An Exterior Door
Many factors go into the cost of the front door, whether you are choosing a decorative front door or a utilitarian one.
- The door material- The material of the door is typically the most significant deciding factor of the overall cost of the door. You have many options for the material of your front door.
- Alterations- A door jamb is part of the door frame: it’s the flat surface that runs vertically up either side. If you need to replace a door frame or jamb because you are changing the size of the door, it will increase the amount of labor done and material needed.
- Energy-Efficient- There are several benefits that come with installing energy-efficient doors. Most people love how new doors update the look of their home, increase their curb appeal, and add to their home’s value. The benefits are much more than just cosmetic, though! Not all doors are created equal and there are a lot of doors that aren’t exactly energy efficient. The door’s material, core, and glass options all determine its energy efficiency.
- Customization- Upgraded locks custom and hardware such as knows, hinges, and other upgrades will also alter the cost. Think of a custom door like a piece of jewelry for your home, and a gateway to your style. But as with anything personalized, it comes with a higher price tag.
Is The Installation Of A New Front Door A DIY Project?
While front door installation can be done by yourself, it is not recommended. The door jamb and frame often need to be altered to fit a new door and this needs to be done properly to protect the insulation properties. Keep in mind that a professional can make quick work of such a job, and in many cases, it might be the wisest choice to ensure it’s done properly.
Simply put, there’s a world of difference between what an interior bedroom door and your entryway door can do for your home. Thinking about your door’s purpose first, then its personality will help you make the right choice and stay on budget.
Contact Us (513) 769-5044 for a Consultation!
About Business Concepts Remodeling
Building Concepts specializes in custom remodeling projects across the Greater Cincinnati Area. Our comprehensive residential and commercial experience has built a reliable reputation you can trust. Every day, we work to build trust through communication and attention to detail. We strive to enhance the lives of our clients by providing high quality solutions with hands on service. Throughout the remodeling project, minimal disruption to your home or office is our highest priority.
> Learn More